Table of Contents
When the summer sun shines bright, there’s nothing quite like Strawberry shortcake ice cream. Indulging in a cool and creamy dessert. One delightful treat that perfectly captures the essence of summer is the luscious Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream. This delectable dessert combines the flavors of fresh strawberries, fluffy shortcake, and creamy ice cream, making it an irresistible treat for people of all ages. In this article, we will guide you through a step-by-step recipe on how to make this scrumptious Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream from scratch. So, let’s get started!
To make the perfect Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream, you will need the following ingredients:
For the Strawberry Sauce:
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the Shortcake Pieces:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted cold butter
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Ice Cream Base:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Making the Strawberry Sauce:
- In a saucepan, combine the sliced strawberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries become soft and release their juices. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Once done, remove the saucepan from the heat and let the strawberry sauce cool completely.
2. Preparing the Shortcake Pieces:
- Set oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- To the dry ingredients, add the cool, diced unsalted butter. Work butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or your fingers until it resembles coarse crumbs.Pour in the milk and gently mix until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured surface and knead it a few times until smooth. about 1/2 inch thickness roll out the dough.
- Using a cookie cutter or a knife, cut the dough into small pieces and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the shortcake pieces for 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Make it cool once baked.
3. Making the Ice Cream Base:
- Blend the whole milk, heavy cream, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Mix the mixture into ice cream maker and churn it according to the manufacturer’s instructions for a thick and creamy consistency.
4. Assembling the Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream:
- In a large container, layer the churned ice cream, strawberry sauce, and shortcake pieces one by one. Start with a layer of ice cream, followed by dollops of strawberry sauce, and a scattering of shortcake pieces.
- Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of strawberry sauce and shortcake pieces on top.
- Cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap and freeze the ice cream for at least 4-6 hours or until it sets completely.
Congratulations! You have successfully made a delicious and refreshing Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream that’s perfect for beating the summer heat. The delightful blend of fresh strawberries, tender shortcake, and creamy ice cream will undoubtedly leave your taste buds craving for more. So, go ahead, scoop up this delightful treat, and relish the sweetness of summer!
FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Can I use frozen strawberries for the strawberry sauce?
- Yes, if fresh ones are not available use refrigerated strawberries. Just make sure to thaw them before cooking.
- Do I need an ice cream maker to prepare this recipe?
- While an ice cream maker yields the best results, you can still make the ice cream by hand. Pour the mixture into a shallow dish, freeze it for an hour, stir it well, and then freeze it again until set.
- Can I substitute the heavy cream with a lighter alternative?
- Yes, you can use half-and-half or light cream, but keep in mind that it may affect the creaminess of the ice cream.
- How long does the Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream last in the freezer?
- When stored properly in an airtight container, the ice cream can last for up to 2 weeks.
- Can I add other fruits to the ice cream?
- Absolutely! Feel free to get creative and add your favorite fruits like blueberries, raspberries, or peaches for a unique twist.