Enjoy the comforting flavors of Southern banana Pudding recipe, a beloved classic that embodies the essence of Southern hospitality. Layers of creamy vanilla pudding, sliced bananas, and tender vanilla wafers combine to create a soul-satisfying dessert that will transport you to a place of pure bliss.
Southern Banana Pudding Recipe
- 1 Box Vanilla Wafers 12 Ounces
- 6 Pcs Sliced Banana Ripe
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1/4 TS Salt
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 4 Pcs Large Eggs Separated
- 2 TS Vanilla Extract
- In a medium saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, and salt. stir the milk slowly until smoothness. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a gentle simmer, about 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl. Gradually whisk about ½ cup of the warm milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks until they are frothy. Then, add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan with the rest of the milk mixture. Cook 2 minutes and stir.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in extract of vanilla. Allow the custard to cool slightly, stirring occasionally.
- In a deep dish or individual serving bowls, make a layer of vanilla wafers on the bottom. Top the wafers with a layer of sliced banana. Pour a portion of the custard over the banana layer. Repeat the layers until all ingredients are used, ending with a layer of custard on top.
- mix the egg whites in a bowl until peak of stiff form. Gradually add ¼ cup granulated sugar until the mixture is glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Spread the meringue over the custard, making sure to seal the edges. You can make decorative ridges with the back of a spoon.
- Place the pudding in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and let cool to room temperature. refrigerate for 4 hours minimum or keep overnight for flavors to meld.